When is it a good idea to file a claim with your insurance company? When should you file a claim, when should you not?
Here’s how to judge when to tell your insurer about an accident:
- You put a dent in someone's car and they suggest just paying for the damages with cash, instead of calling the insurance company.
-Yes, contact your insurance company. NEVER make a private deal, in case they demand more money later, it is better to suggest the person makes a claim. Give them your insurance information, and have them give you theirs just in case.
- You cause major damages to someone else's car
.- Yes, contact your insurance company. Tell your insurer about the accident and file the claim. Give them details as the more detailed the better and faster they can work with you to get the issue resolved. Also, make sure to take pictures of BOTH vehicle's from every angle. Give the company details on where the damage is located on either one of your cars.
- You cause a car accident with injuries to passenger/s, driver of another vehicle.
-Yes, tell your insurer immediately. Injuries can easily lead to big medical bills that can potently land you having to go through litigation with your/their insurance Companies. These cases can go on for years and years.
- You accidentally cause small damage to your own car.
- Don't even bother contacting your insurer if you have no collision coverage (liability only as most will call this coverage), or if the damage is less than your collision deductible (typically under $500.00). There would be no claim payment in that case & you will have a claim on record with your insurance company.
- You accidentally cause a significant amount of damage to your own car.
-Yes, Contact your insurer if you want to make a claim on collision coverage. If you believe that the damage is more than you can cover out of your own pocket, and it is more then your deductible.
Also consider the possibility that your rates could go up when it is time to renew your policy because of this claim. If you don't have collision coverage, there's no reason to contact your insurer
If you have questions about the coverage you have on your vehicle, or want to update/upgrade your coverages please feel free to give our office a call (702) 251-4949.